RUSTY GRAIN BINS, OLD BARNS, & A FORTH GENERATION FARM GIRL


Heather David / Abby Himburg
SunSouth
Women in agriculture. This topic is not commonly brought up in conversation. My name is Heather Davis. I am a female employee at SunSouth, LLC in Blakely, Georgia. I am a woman in the agriculture industry.

Growing up, I jumped at any chance I got to climb in a tractor, just like I jumped at the opportunity to join the SunSouth team. My whole life has revolved around agriculture. As a little girl, going to feed or check the cows was my favorite hobby, along with riding in any combine, cotton picker, or anything else that would GO. When I was three, I threw my “paci” to the piglets that were just born, because Mama said, “those babies need your ‘paci’!” Around seven years old, I always helped my Nana gather the eggs from her little hen house. I joined the 4-H in the fourth grade, and FFA in the sixth. I had all five paragraphs of the FFA creed memorized the next year for a graded assignment (thanks to Mr. Dusty Smith, my advisor). At 13, I took out a loan out at Merchants & Farmers Bank in order to buy my first show pig, which ended up landing me a few showmanship trophies and ribbons. My eighth grade year I was elected to serve as a member on the 4-H Southwest District Junior Board. At 25, I married into a family of fourth generation cattlemen. Only once or twice have I worked beside my husband, Denver, and his first cousins. Before we were married, I had never been hands-on with working cows, as this was something the men usually handled around my Papa’s farm. An hour into it, I was holding tails and dousing cattle with ivermectin like it was nobody’s business. This was quite a learning experience. After about 50 head went through, I knew we would have no problem being married. Now at 27, I’ve started a job that I fully believe will turn into a rewarding, lifelong career. Agriculture has taught me more than responsibility. It has taught me how to raise and care for animals. It has taught me to take pride in what I do. It has taught me compassion. It has taught me patience. Most importantly, it has taught me about the sacrifices that have to be made in order to get the job done.
My hat is off to the women who can plant and harvest peanuts, cut and bale hay, and properly load a cattle trailer. But agriculture is not just tractors, dirt, and farming. There are so many behind the scene things happening that most people wouldn’t think of, and a small percentage takes place at my desk. Am I in the field daily? No. Do I come home covered in grease every day? Again, no. But every single day I have my hands in something that is helping to keep these wheels turning. I’m honored to have the trust of our farmers, who work in acres instead of hours. I know that we are just a small part of their legacy, but the fact that someone is depending on me to deliver a service that is vital to their operation is humbling.
To this day, I still drive out to my Papa Mims’ farm. I find the tall oaks and old ragged barns give me a sense of peace that I can’t even begin to describe. He has been gone for 12 years now, and the land is rented out to my cousin. The cows have been sold, and the grain bins are as rusted as his old 1960s tractor, that surprisingly still runs. The two bedroom house that raised six children still stands. This place is a wholesome reminder of where I came from. I couldn’t be more proud, and I know he would be proud of me for continuing our family tradition by choosing to be a part of this fulfilling industry. I am a woman in agriculture, and I intend to stay as long as I’m welcome.
From the Editor: When I asked Heather about writing a blog, she was thrilled. I then asked her if I could ride out to the family farm and take a few pictures of it and her as well. Heather told me that the family farm was old and grown up and that there wasn't much too it anymore. I assured her that it was fine and that I just wanted to capture the memories of what used to be there. Boy did I get that and more! I was greeted by Heather and her grandmother. This farm was where Heather's grandmother was rasied and still lives fairly close by. I can't even begin to describe the joy that Heather's "Nana" had as she explained the farm operation to me. Nana showed me where the cows used to be, the hogs, all the old equipment, and even the old homesite. I so enjoyed my afternoon with Heather and her Nana, exploring the old family farm. I just had to include the one picture I got of Nana. She was sure to try to stay out of the way, but I couldn't help but capture her too.
Heather and Nana
Heather showing me the old rusty grain bins and the farm land that her cousin now farms.
These old trees at the homesite are just gorgeous!

Comments